passed by 3rd Library Committee Meeting(2004 school year) on Jun. 9, 2005
revised by 2nd Library Committee Meeting(2008 school year) on Apr. 20, 2009
revised by 1st Library Committee Meeting(2012 school year) on Nov. 21, 2012
revised by 2nd Library Committee Meeting(2012 school year) on May 7, 2013
revised by 1st Library Committee Meeting(2015 school year) on Nov 10, 2015
Must accord with CYCU academic needs, as well as authority, accuracy, and currency.
Must avoid overlaying between different E‐Resources. If an E‐Resource contributes a lot to teaching / research needs, university evaluation / accreditation, and university long‐term development, the Library will consider it top priority to be selected.
(2) Budget Control
In order to reduce expenditure, joining the E‐Resource consortium will be first priority.
(3) Usage Statistics and Feedback
For E‐Resources, already purchased or during trial, usage statistics and patron feedback will both serve as important basis to be renewed or selected.
(4) User interface
E‐Resources with web interface will be on top priority. In addition, retrieval functions, ease of operation, connection speed, authority scope, content quality, effectiveness, price, contract guarantee, embargo periods, vendor reputation all serve as important bases.
(5) E‐Resource versions
The following 4 factors will be taken into consideration when the Library is choosing the most efficient version of E‐Resources: convenient use, frequency of use, cost, and content’s value to preserve. The different levels of versions are categorized in priority as follows: intranet, internet (unlimited), internet (limited), standalone, or charge‐per‐visit.
(6) Priority list
a. Renewal of existing E‐Resources
b. Upgrade of existing E‐Resources
c. Full‐text online database of periodicals d. complement to the academic fields
Procedures to evaluate and acquire
(1) Collect patrons’ recommendations or vendor initiated ads.
(2) Patron is required to fill out「CYCU Chang Ching Yu Memorial Library E‐Resource.
Recommendation Form」, which needs to be approved by the Department Head and
College Dean, and it will be served as basis for purchasing procedure.
(3) The Library will contact vendor for free trial after preliminary evaluation.
(4) During trial period, patron will be advised to fill out feedback in 「CYCU Chang Ching Yu
Memorial Library E‐Resource Trial Feedback」on Library website.
(5) When trial period ends, the Library will print out feedbacks and ask vendor to provide usage statistics
(6) Each year, these statistics will be forwarded to related colleges, who will thus formulate the priority list of acquiring or continuing E‐Resources and send back to the Library.
(7) The Library, based on the approved school‐year budget for E‐Resources and the above priority list, will begin the purchasing process.
(8) The Library will inform patron who recommends E‐Resource about the reason why his/her recommendation is not purchased.
Guidelines to eliminate or discontinue
(1) Number of annual usage for retrieval is low and purchase will be not cost‐effective
(2) School‐year budget can not afford the increase of purchasing fee for certain E‐Resource
(3) Content of certain E‐Resource can be replaced by or is similar to that of other’s
(4) Quality is not satisfactory due to low system efficiency or long‐term bad connection
Procedures to eliminate or discontinue
(1) Library will, in accordance with the above guidelines, make a suggestion list of E‐Resources to be eliminated or discontinued
(2) Prior to elimination or discontinuation of certain E‐Resources, Library will notify the patron/department who recommends or the major users, collect opinions, then decide in Library meeting.
Guidelines go into effect when passed by Library Committee Meeting and approved by the President.